Safety and Health Policy
According to the Safety and Health Policy signed by THSRC, the senior management declared to all colleagues: Safety is the cornerstone of THSRC - Without safety, there is no THSRC. All decisions and actions of THSRC are based on safety as the highest guiding principle. THSRC will maintain proactive safety and health management with staff participation on improvements to achieve zero disaster and accident goals.
THSRC regards safety as the highest guiding principle for decision-making and action, and stipulates the commitments of Safety and Health Policy to ensure the safety and health of passengers, workers and other public members. We will continuously promote occupational safety and health management to achieve related performance commitments.
THSRC corporate headquarters, OMC building, 12 HSR stations, and 4maintenance depots are all equipped with the health rooms with nurses to provide employees, passengers, and contractors with health care resources for emergency injury care. We also stipulated the relevant work safety rules, and implemented the countermeasures for the personal safety and working environment of employees as follows:
Working Safety Rules
- THSRC has established “Employee Safety and Health Work Instructions”, “Occupational Safety and Health Management Plan”, “Railway Operation Safety Rulebook”, “THSRC Operation Regulation”, “THSRC Operation Rules”, and “Operation Control Center/Station Control Room/Depot Control Room Working Manual”, etc. These procedures are updated at least every three years in accordance with stipulated regulations.
- We established “The Prevent Plan for Wrongful Physical or Mental Harm during the Execution of Job Duties” in accordance with the Occupational Safety and Health Act and guided implementation in all departments to ensure occupational health and safety.
Protection Measures and Implementation Status
- To provide employees with safe and healthy work environments, THSRC conducted environment monitoring work twice per year beyond those mandated by regulations. The item and results advised all employees.
- It is required that self inspection of machinery and equipment which inspection frequency and items beyond those mandated by regulations, including the frequency before operation, weekly, monthly, quarterly, 6 months, or yearly, etc.
- We provided the necessary safety and sanitation of equipment and measures beyond those mandated by regulation, including the gym facilities in each depot.
- THSRC provided material incentives to employees in order to promote management solutions for measures that reduce occupational hazards, for example our "Occupational Safety and Health Management Target Achievement Incentive Program".
- THSRC established an incentive program to encourage our colleagues to report Near Miss and Hazard of occupational health and safety, thus enhancing awareness of occupational health and safety.
- THSRC implemented annual occupational health and safety audits to assess whether audited units had fulfilled their responsibilities and were operating in accordance with relevant regulations. We conducted 12 audits in 2020.
- THSRC hosted a number of traffic safety management events, for example traffic safety lectures, traffic safety quizzes, safe-driving promotional training for Yamaha and KYMCO motorcycles, and the Hsinchu, Taichung, Kaohsiung shuttle bus program.
- It is required that if the contractor enters THSRC job site, the contract attachments should include the appropriate "Occupational Safety and Health Clauses" to comply accordingly. In addition, we stipulated "THSRC Contractor Management Plan" for all contract management units to follow up. In the beginning of 2020, the "Contractor's Safety and Health Management System (CSH)" was established for the contractor e-management.
- Every year, the Corporation establishes “Annual Health and Safety Education Training Plan” which includes relevant EHS training courses and monitoring training completion rates. Additionally, our occupational safety and health office hosts a number of promotional activities on health and safety standards, operational procedures, and regulations for new recruits and existing personnel to enhance their awareness and capabilities. A total of 86 activities were hosted in 2020.
- We provided health checks beyond those mandated by regulation 1 time every for above 45 years old and 1 time every 2 years for less 45 years old. Additional check items for those above 45 years old who have worked at the Corporation for more than 10 years since 2018. Annual health check attendance for train personnel was 100%, and above 95% for general employees.
- The staff health examination results are analyzed by "Employee Health Management (EHM)" for medical personnel to plan the suitable employees health promotion activities, such as: E-healthy jog activity, scientific and technological fitness tests, Flu vaccine inoculation, and various health seminars on different topics.
- The Corporation planed and implemented the prevention for Wrongful Physical or Mental Harm During the Execution of Job Duties. Every year, we implement programs relating to prevention of hazards related to human factors, prevention of disorders brought on by abnormal workloads, maternal health protection, and so on. We also conduct health management surveys to analyze employee health risks and provide timely interventions and special preventive measures for preventive care and management.
- We established an online occupational health check reservation system to maximize service accessibility. Occupational health physicians provided hazard assessments, health consultations, home and work injury care, assessments for returning workers and worker fitness for 144 on-site sessions, ensuring comprehensive healthcare benefits for employees.
- AEDs are set up in all job sites of the company beyond those mandated by regulation, including high-speed rail trains, stations, depots, and office buildings, to facilitate the emergency rescue of acute cardiovascular diseases. We also arranged the first aid training for employees (AED+CPR).
- We have full-time Psychologist, in terms of preventive care for mental health, we have established hotlines and dedicated emails to provide multiple communication channels and care for our employees.
- A total of 76 disaster prevention and training drills were completed at various stations, depots, and routes in 2020, and were attended by external supporting units.
Sustainability and Social Benefits
THSRC implemented ISO45001 certification and the third company's safety culture assessment. Through third party's inspection, we continuously maintain the occupational safety and health management system on improvement to achieve zero disasters and accident goals.
Occupational Safety and Health Management System Verification
- Since THSRC founded, the occupational safety and health management system has been established and maintained during the construction stage. In July 1917, we passed the review of Lloyd's Inspection Co., Ltd. (LRQA) and obtained the dual verification of Taiwan's Occupational Safety and Health Management System (TOSHMS) CNS 15506 and Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSAS 18001). In June 2020, we obtained the TOSHMS CNS 45001 and ISO 45001 verification from British Standards Institute (BSI). The Certificate of Registration is as attached.
- THSRC received certificates that verify our occupational health and safety management of HSR management areas along Taiwan's western corridor, including train stations, maintenance depots, trackside equipment, and offices, making THSRC the biggest verified occupational safety and health business unit in Taiwan.
- The purpose of independent third party verification of occupational safety and health management system is to ensure that the system can be implemented for a long period. The successful verification was means to set an important milestone for THSRC.
- With regard to working environment, THSRC didn't only implement TOSHMS and ISO45001, but also set the more stringent standards than the legal requirements, such as more rigorous working environment, education and training, and established the quality and safe working environment that meets the needs of both organization and employees, in order to implement the corporate culture and safety concept of "Without safety, there is no THSC".
Performance Recognition of Occupational Safety and Health Management System
- THSRC complied "Performance Approval Requirements of Occupational Safety and Health Management System", stipulated by Ministry of Labor, as follows:
- Establish and implement occupational safety and health management system.
- In the job site during the application period and the previous three years, the company, including contractors and subcontractors, should no occupational accident defined in Occupational Safety and Health Act Article 37 Paragraph 2 sub-paragraph 1or 2. However, in accordance with the item 20, the re-applying companies for recognition was not confined if they passed the reviews and applied before the expiration of the valid period.
- The Frequency and Severity Injury (FSI) Index in past three years, announced by Ministry of Labor, should be less than one-half of the industry or one-quarter of the entire industry.
- In December 2018, THSRC obtained “Performance Approval of Occupational Safety and Health Management System" by Ministry of Labor to achieve the win-win goal of creating labor safety and sustainable operation. The valid period of the Approval is three years.
Healthy Job Site-Health Promotion Mark
- THSRC was awarded the Badge of Accredited Healthy Workplace by the Health Promotion Administration, the Ministry of Health and Welfare, and the validity period of the Badge is from January 1st, 2019 to December 31st, 2021.
Management mechanism and performance
n The mechanism and performance, safety index targets and their achievement status, and other implementation of occupational safety and health management were also disclosed on the "Social Value-Friendly Workplace" web page under "Corporate Social Responsibility" section in THSRC website.